Lubbock resident picking up the pieces after wind storm - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock resident picking up the pieces after wind storm


Monday, Lubbock resident Earl Craig was awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night informing him that his property was lying in the street.

One of the sheds he and his wife own had been picked up by the wind and slammed into an electric pole, causing over 1600 people in Meadow, Ropes and Wolfforth to lose power.

"We have a little A-frame sign out in front of the building and I told my wife, 'That wind just blew that sign out into the street. That's all there is to it. Let's go out there!' When we got out here it was a disaster. My wife's desk, file cabinets, everything was destroyed."

Craig estimates the wind caused between $15,000 and $20,000 of damage.

"It didn't hurt but three buildings and the rest of them, even the streamers by the road, are still intact. It didn't touch another thing. It just took the three buildings that were in that spot and that was it," said Craig.

After he examined all of the damage around 12:30 a.m., he went over to speak with neighbor David Burrow who heard the whole thing happen. Burrow lives across the street and says it was like nothing he had ever experienced.

"I went out into the garage and I heard a crashing, banging noise and I opened the garage door and all I saw was black. I couldn't even see across the street," he said. "I've never heard anything like it. It was just rolling wind with debris. It sounded like a building just rapping around and coming to pieces in the air."

He immediately drove across the street to look at the damage and called the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office so they could warn drivers of the hazard. He waited for 15 minutes until the Wolfforth Fire Department came so he could tell them what he heard.

"They turned on their emergency lights and then came over and asked what caused this and I said, 'I have no idea, I think a gustnado.'"

He said he could hear crews working all night to try and restore power, which they were able to do for the majority of residents around 2:00 a.m. After they replaced the damaged pole, the remaining thirty homes had power restored around 10:00 a.m., which ended 10 hours with no electricity. Though the whole event provided quite a scare both Craig and Burrow, they said it was just another windy Lubbock night.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly