Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
NORMAN, Okla. – In a season of so close, it ended just out of reach, as TCU pulled out a 4-2 win over Texas Tech in the first round of the 2013 Men's Big 12 Tennis Championships at the Headington Family Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Oklahoma on Friday.
The match started with singles due to the chance of rain the a few early rain drops that fell from the sky.
TCU jumped on the board early, when Orlando Superlano picked up a straight set win over Felipe Soares, 6-4, 6-4. Arnau Dachs then tripped Raphael Pfister, 1-6, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 to give TCU a 2-0 lead with four matches on the court.
Then senior Vitor Manzini stepped up his play on court one. Manzini dismantled TCU's No. 104 Nicholas Chappell, 6-4, 6-4.
"Almost numb," said Red Raider head coach Tim Siegel. "You know, we're down 2-1 and I thought we were going to win the next three. Hugo (Dojas) had 5-4 in the third down, had three break points and had the point totally won. I thought we were going to go 3-all and was very confident. I just felt like it was going to happen for us because we had lost so many close ones."
At that point in the match, Texas Tech was leading on three of the remaining four courts. But the tide shifted.
Dojas was leading 4-3 in the third set, but then lost the next three gamesas Facundo Lugones picked up the point for TCU with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win over the Tech freshman.
Gabriel Wanderley pulled the Red Raiders to within one, 3-2, when he topped JT Sundling, 6,3, 3-6, 6-2, at No. 6.
That left one match remaining – Francisco Zambon versus TCU's Rodolfo Bustamonte. A Zambon win would force doubles and a chance for Tech to secure the fourth point and the right to face Baylor on Saturday.
Bustamonte won a hard-fought first set 6-4, only to see Zambon battle back for a 6-4 win in the second. The Texas Tech sophomore jumped out to a 5-3 lead in the third, Bustamonte held serve and broke Zambon to tie the match a 5-5 in the third. He then served for the lead and broke serve for the match.
Texas Tech closes out the season 15-11.
#35 TCU 4, #50 Texas Tech 2
Norman, Okla. (Headington Family Tennis Center)
1. Vitor Manzini (TT) def. #104 Nicholas Chappell (TCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Orlando Superlano (TCU) def. Felipe Soares (TT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Arnau Dachs (TCU) def. Raphael Pfister (TT) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Hugo Dojas (TT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) def. Francisco Zambon (TT) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
6. Gabriel Wanderley (TT) def. JT Sundling (TCU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
1. Felipe Soares/Vitor Manzini (TT) vs. Will Stein/Nicholas Chappell (TCU) no result
2. Raphael Pfister/Hugo Dojas (TT) vs. JT Sundling/Max Stevens (TCU) no result
3. Jeff Bryan/Gabriel Wanderley (TT) vs. Arnau Dachs/Orlando Superlano (TCU) no result
Texas Tech 15-11; National ranking #50
TCU 18-8; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)
First Round of the Big 12 Championships