Survivor compares Oklahoma event to 1970 Lubbock tornado - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Survivor compares Oklahoma event to 1970 Lubbock tornado

Dr. Monzer Attar was injured in the 1970 Lubbock tornado. Dr. Monzer Attar was injured in the 1970 Lubbock tornado.

There are several similarities between the Moore, Oklahoma tornado and Lubbock's devastating tornado of 1970.

An EF-5 tornado ripped through the Hub City on May 11th, 1970, killing 26 people. More than 250 people were seriously injured and more than 1,000 homes were completely destroyed.

A Lubbock physician, Dr. Monzer Attar, remembers being in the twister's path that night.

"I didn't hear anything. It got dark. I thought maybe I forgot to turn my lights on, so I turned them on and off - no change. I looked up through the windshield, up to the sky, I saw the debris, the wood, the shingles flying," Dr. Attar said, remembering that frightening evening.

He says the last thing he remembers is looking back behind him.

"I turned my face to look back, I saw lights of a few cars and then forget it…I went out - completely," he said.

Attar was told that a two-by-four came crashing down through his car, swiping his face and knocking him unconscious.

"I didn't feel anything when I went out. The problems started afterwards, after I woke up," Dr. Attar said.

The tables were turned that day for Dr. Attar, who has been practicing medicine for years. Instead of treating patients, he woke up as a patient in the Intensive Care Unit at what is now called Covenant Hospital, three days after the devastation happened.

Dr. Attar endured 15 operations. He currently has an artificial nose and his eye had to be sewn back into its socket. The deep scar across his nose is a constant reminder of how damaging an event of that magnitude can be.

"Two police...they took me to the Emergency Room at Covenant and they didn't recognize me because my face was all mutilated. They thought I was going to die," he said.

Dr. Attar says he knows far too well the misery going on in Moore.

"We recovered and they will recover," Attar said.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Grand jury indicts Missouri governor who admitted affair

Thursday, February 22 2018 5:35 PM EST2018-02-22 22:35:21 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:57 PM EST2018-02-23 04:57:26 GMT
    A St. Louis grand jury indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)A St. Louis grand jury indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

A St. Louis grand jury has indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015.

US women beat Canada for gold in a 3-2 shootout thriller

Thursday, February 22 2018 2:34 AM EST2018-02-22 07:34:20 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:56 PM EST2018-02-23 04:56:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

Twenty long years after taking gold when the sport debuted in 1998, the United States snapped Canada's streak of four straight Olympic golds with a 3-2 shootout victory.

The Latest: Dismal showing for US female figure skaters

Thursday, February 22 2018 8:44 PM EST2018-02-23 01:44:26 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:56 PM EST2018-02-23 04:56:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue). Alina Zagitova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia performs during the women's short program figure skating in the Gangneung Ice Arena at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.(AP Photo/Bernat Armangue). Alina Zagitova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia performs during the women's short program figure skating in the Gangneung Ice Arena at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.

The Russians have a good shot at winning their first gold medal of the Pyeongchang Olympics when teenage figure skaters Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva take the ice for the women's free skate.