A fire at an East Lubbock apartment complex was finally brought under control Monday afternoon. Firefighters fought the blaze for almost six hours.
The fire broke out just after 9 a.m. Monday, inside the Spanish Oaks Apartments in the 1000 block of E. 29th Street. Crews evacuated the entire building as they worked to contain the blaze.
Officials are still trying to determine the fire's cause but according to Lubbock Fire Marshal Robert Loveless, they think it was faulty electrical wiring.
"Witness evidence on this has led us to believe that this fire was electrical in nature. We do not know that for sure, it's still very early. We're just now about to start an origin and cause determination," said Loveless.
Loveless said that the complex has a history of code violations.
"We've been over here several times over the years dealing with those," he said.
Loveless says he will not allow electricity to be restored to the building until all the wiring has been checked.
"We are not going to allow the power to be restored until a licensed electrician can sign off on that," he said.
The Red Cross and Salvation Army stepped in to assist displaced residents and provided food and drink to first responders. The Red Cross has established a shelter at Alderson Middle School for approximately 100 residents and surrounding community members.
Spanish Oaks resident Karen Ramirez said she the fire shortly after it began.
"I heard people screaming so I looked out my bedroom window and I see my neighbors apartment that's across from me with fire coming out."
Ramirez told us the residents had just moved here. He says they may have lost all their personal items but he is glad everyone is alive and safe.
There have been no reports of injuries at this time.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.