Emergency rooms in Colorado saw a spike in young children accidentally ingesting marijuana after it became easier to use for medical purposes in 2009.
Most of the reports stemmed from children eating pot-laced brownies, cookies and candies - according to researchers at Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center.
These products are popular among people who want to use marijuana for medical reasons, but can't or don't want to smoke the drug.
There were no pediatric ER cases of marijuana poisonings before 2009 and 14 cases after new rules went into effect.
Two patients ended up in intensive care, but no one died.
The children experienced a range of symptoms from trouble breathing, to unsteady walking to simply not acting like themselves.
The youngest patient was 8 months old.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.