Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech junior left-handed pitcher Andre Wheeler (Austin, Texas) was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 15th round (453rd overall) on the third and final day of the 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Players Draft on Saturday afternoon.
It marks the second time Wheeler has been taken in the MLB Draft as he was drafted in the 22nd round of the 2010 draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a right fielder while coming out of high school.
Wheeler is the second Red Raider taken in this year's draft following junior right-handed pitcher Trey Masek who was selected in the fifth round by the Chicago Cubs.
Wheeler led Texas Tech with 23 appearances on the season while serving as Tech's top left-handed reliever for the second straight campaign. He went 4-1 and combined on two shutouts with 32.0 innings pitched and 21 strikeouts.
His four wins marked the most by a Red Raider reliever since 2006 (Colt Hynes – 5).
He tallied 12 scoreless relief outings on the season while opening the year with seven of his first eight appearances resulting in a shutout performance. Wheeler struck out multiple batters on six occasions, and he allowed just four extra-base hits – all doubles – during the first-half of the season. In addition, Wheeler went the entire season without allowing a home run.
Texas Tech has also had four signees selected in the draft with right-handed pitcher Casey Meisner (Cypress Woods HS) drafted in the third round (84th overall) by the New York Mets, right-handed pitcher Thaddius Lowry (Spring HS) taken in the fifth round (153rd overall) by the Chicago White Sox, right-handed pitcher Zach Reininger (Hill College) drafted in the eighth round (246 overall) by the Detroit Tigers and today left-handed pitcher Ty Damron (Krum HS) was drafted in the 13th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- Wheeler has now been drafted twice in his career. He was a 22nd round pick in 2010 out of high school by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a right-fielder.
- Wheeler is Texas Tech's 134th all-time MLB Draft pick/free agent selection in program history.
- Wheeler is the 59th pitcher in school history to be drafted/18th left-handed pitcher.
- Wheeler is the fifth highest drafted left-handed pitcher in school history and the highest since 2008 (James Leverton, 8th Round).
- Wheeler was the 10th pitcher taken in the 2013 draft by the White Sox and second left-handed pitcher.
- Wheeler is the sixth Red Raider to be drafted by the Chicago White Sox.
- Wheeler is the first Red Raider drafted by the White Sox since 2008 (OF Doug Thennis, 27th Round).
- Wheeler is the highest drafted Red Raider by the White Sox since 2006 (C Tyler Reves, 4th Round).
- Texas Tech has now had 31 draft picks selected from the 11th-20th rounds.
- Texas Tech has now had 51 players selected in the top 15 rounds of the MLB Draft all-time.
- This year marks the 15th time in school history that a pair of Red Raiders have been taken in the top 15 rounds.
- Marks the 117th MLB Draft/free agent selection in Tim Tadlock's coaching career.
- Tadlock has coached at least one MLB Draft pick in 19 consecutive years.
- Tadlock has coached 63 pitchers who have been drafted – 15 left-handed pitchers.