Health inspectors checked out the cleanliness of dozens of Lubbock restaurants this week, and what they found wasn't very appetizing. KCBD NewsChannel 11's Christy Hartin serves up this week's Food for Thought.
Our first stop is Golden Chick at 5727 82nd. They had eight critical violations
* Employees did not wash their hands for at least 20 seconds.
* There was no soap at a hand sink.
* An employee's drink did not have a lid.
* Raw chicken was stored above ready to eat chicken and raw fish.
* Chicken and rice did not have a date mark.
* The inspector notes there was an excessive number of flies and dead flies throughout the facility.
* Food storage containers had stickers and sticker residue on them.
* The restaurant does not have a certified food manager.
Management says everything has been corrected.
The report shows most of the violations were corrected at the time of the inspection.
Next we head to China Star at 1919 50th.Inspectors cited the buffet for 11 critical violations.
* Multiple pans of brisket were thrown out because they were not cooling properly. This can cause rapid bacteria growth.
* Eggs were also tossed because they were above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
* A couple of items on the buffet were tossed because they weren't at least 135 degrees.
* Watermelons with cracked ends were dripping on to the floor and other watermelons. Another watermelon was not in good condition.
* An employee was cutting bell peppers with their bare hands.
* Raw chicken was above boxes of lemons and buckets of potatoes. Water was dripping from the ceiling of the walk-in cooler onto proofing biscuits.
* Multiple items, including brisket, cheese and rice, did not have an expiration date.
* There were numerous flies throughout the kitchen.
* Hair gel was stored on the shelf next to condiments.
* Multiple kitchen items were dirty or broken.
* According to the report, the manager did not demonstrate food safety knowledge.
Management tells us everything has been corrected.
The report shows most were corrected while the inspector was there.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved