The power is back on for residents in New Deal and Shallowater after a utility pole caught fire Monday evening.
The company says an overloaded Xcel transmission pole caught fire.
The outage affected about 2,500 residents between the two communities.
Crews were able to restore power just before 8 p.m.
South Plains Electric Cooperative kept its customers in the loop by posting updates about the situation to their Facebook page.
SPEC and Xcel are both looking into the cause of the outage.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.