Lamesa woman recounts being stabbed 18 times in front of her son - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lamesa woman recounts being stabbed 18 times in front of her son

Iris Lucio Iris Lucio

Iris Lucio never in her wildest dreams thought she would end up in the hospital with 18 stab wounds. Let alone, live to tell the story.

"I remember everything… I don't remember feeling each wound, but I remember everything," Lucio said.

It's a memory that the 27-year-old Lucio would like to forget.

"Just out of nowhere, I felt a huge blow to my right side of my face and as I looked up, I seen that it was him," Lucio said.

Lucio says it was her ex-boyfriend, 32-year-old Leonard Lopez after he broke into her Lamesa home last Sunday night on North 4th Street.

"He was just like, ‘It's not over.' He's like, ‘I'm here to kill you (expletive).'"

Lucio says she immediately thought of her 4-year-old son, Achilles, who was awake in his bedroom.

"He picked me up and threw me to the couch on my back and continued to stab from there. I kicked and I hit and screamed and I only had one person to scream for and that was my son," she said.

Lucio says Lopes stabbed her 18 times as little Achilles watched in horror.

"My brother just pulled up on his bike, on his Harley. So I don't know if he heard my brother's bike, that's why he stopped, or if he just stopped?"

But Lucio is certain if she didn't fight back and her brother didn't show up, she wouldn't be here to tell this story.

"I just really hope and pray that this all works out and I get the help that I need," she said.

Lucio is at home recovering from 18 stab wounds, two broken ribs and a punctured lung. Lopes sits behind bars at the Dawson County Jail charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His bond is set at $750,000.

"I just want to see him locked up for a long time. I don't ever want to see him again...ever…ever...ever."

Lucio says this isn't the first time Lopes has shown signs of abusiveness towards her. She encourages others who are victims of domestic violence to get help before it's too late.

If you are a victim of domestic violence or know someone who is, you can call Women's Protective Services at (806) 748-5292.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Congress moves to dismantle key post-crisis bank rules

Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:33 PM EDT2018-05-22 16:33:04 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:36 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:36:15 GMT
    Congress is moving to dismantle a chunk of the rules framework for banks to prevent a recurrence of the 2008 financial crisis. (Source: CNN)Congress is moving to dismantle a chunk of the rules framework for banks to prevent a recurrence of the 2008 financial crisis. (Source: CNN)

Congress is moving to dismantle a chunk of the rules framework for banks to prevent a recurrence of the 2008 financial crisis that brought millions of lost jobs and foreclosed homes. The House was to approve legislation to roll back the Dodd-Frank law.

Trump won't say if he has confidence in Rosenstein

Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:12 AM EDT2018-05-22 04:12:21 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:35 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:35:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 17, 2018, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House, in Washington. Trump said he will "demand" that the Justice Department open ...(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 17, 2018, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House, in Washington. Trump said he will "demand" that the Justice Department open ...

The agreement came after President Donald Trump made an extraordinary demand that the Justice Department investigate whether the FBI infiltrated his presidential campaign.

Teen suspect in Maryland officer's slaying held without bail

Monday, May 21 2018 11:43 PM EDT2018-05-22 03:43:29 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:29 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:29:23 GMT
    A 16-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of a Baltimore County, Maryland, police officer. (Source: Baltimore County Police/CNN)A 16-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of a Baltimore County, Maryland, police officer. (Source: Baltimore County Police/CNN)

The officer, who wasn't immediately identified, was run over by a Jeep and fatally injured, authorities say.