Juror passes out after viewing autopsy photos in Dunn trial - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Juror passes out after viewing autopsy photos in Day 3 of Dunn trial

Posted: Updated:
Kenneth Ray Dunn, 54 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center) Kenneth Ray Dunn, 54 (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)

A tense day of testimony wrapped up early on Wednesday in the trial of Kenneth Ray Dunn.     

The 54-year-old truck driver is accused of killing 43-year-old Stephanie Williams in January of 2012.

The day started when Dr. Sridhar Natarajan, Lubbock County Medical Examiner, took the stand and prosecutors showed graphic photos of Williams' autopsy to the courtroom.

Court was recessed after one member of the jury passed out when looking at one of the pictures.

The autopsy results revealed Williams suffered from blunt force trauma to her skull and her brain. 

Dr. Natarajan says Williams probably suffered from three to seven blows.

On Tuesday, detectives with the Lubbock Police Department testified that Dunn confessed to using a piece of metal to defend himself after Williams attacked him.  Detectives said that piece of metal was a tow hitch approximately 15 inches long, weighing about 9 pounds.

The jury heard from the defendant himself shortly before noon.

While on the witness stand, Dunn admitted to killing Williams in his truck before coming to Lubbock.

Dunn got emotional saying he just lost it and he snapped.  He admitted to smoking crack with Williams shortly before coming to Lubbock with her.

He said Williams wanted money for the drug but Dunn said he felt that he did not need to pay her.

That's when Dunn said Williams, whose street name is "gansta," went crazy and attacked him.

He said he grabbed the tow hitch and hit her to defend himself.

Dunn said he remembers getting ready to swing again but came back to his senses and realized what he did.  By that time, Dunn said it was too late.

Dunn said he did not tell anyone because he was scared and he panicked.  Dunn said he came to Lubbock to drop off a shipment and that is when he said he tied the sheet around Williams' neck and dropped her body off on 46th Street and Locust Avenue.

He told the jury he put Williams' body there so someone could find it.  He says it was the least he could do.

Prosecutors drilled Dunn during cross-examination saying, "Don't you think the least you could do was tell authorities." 

The jury was dismissed early around 2:45p.m. 

Court will reconvene tomorrow morning at 9. 

The defense is expected to rest its case Thursday morning and closing arguments will take place after that.  Then the jury will go into deliberation to decide if Dunn is guilty or innocent. 

KCBD's Chelsea Davis is covering the trial and updating live via Twitter.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.