Provided by Texas Tech Athletics
Texas Tech opens its 2013 home schedule Tuesday evening as the Red Raiders welcome Abilene Christian for a 6 p.m. first serve at the United Spirit Arena. All tickets for the match will be $1 and can be purchased on gameday at the Tech ticket office.
• Texas Tech renews its series with Abilene Christian Tuesday evening with the first of two matches during the 2013 season. The Red Raiders and Wildcats will play the first match of the home-and-home series at 6 p.m. Tuesday evening at the United Spirit Arena.
• Despite just 170 miles separating the two schools, Texas Tech and Abilene Christian will be renewing their series Tuesday evening for the first time since 1983 when the Red Raiders swept a pair of matches in both Lubbock and Abilene. Tech leads the all-time series, 27-1, with the Red Raiders holding a 14-1 advantage in matches played in Lubbock.
• Abilene Christian is in its first season at the NCAA Division-I level after joining the Southland Conference this past July. The Wildcats had previously spent the last 40 years as a member of the Lone Star Conference at the Division II level.
• Abilene Christian made the most of its first weekend as a Division-I opponent last Friday and Saturday at the UT Arlington Invitational, scoring victories over Louisiana Tech and Grambling State while also dropping a close-five set loss to the host Mavericks.
• The Red Raiders will be opening their home slate on Tuesday with the first of 13 matches scheduled this season at the United Spirit Arena. Texas Tech is 30-7 all-time in home openers since 1975, including a 12-5 mark during the Big 12 era.
• Texas Tech head coach Don Flora will look to win the home opener for the third-straight season on Tuesday as the Red Raiders topped Central Arkansas in 2011 and then Texas Pan-American last year. Both victories came in only three sets. Prior to Flora's arrival, Tech had not won a home opener since the 2007 season.
• The Red Raiders will be looking to win their home opener for the third-straight season Tuesday which would be the longest such streak since Texas Tech opened its home slate with a victory in 14-straight years from 1989-2002.
• The Red Raiders opened their 38th season of volleyball last weekend with a 3-1 showing at the Wildcat Invitational hosted by Weber State. Tech followed a 3-0 season-opening loss to Seattle by winning three-straight matches over UC Riverside, Grand Canyon and Weber State to share the tournament title.
• Texas Tech earned a pair of selections to the Wildcat Invitational all-tournament team last weekend in Rachel Brummitt and Mikia Mills while Breeann David shared Most Valuable Player honors.
• Texas Tech head coach Don Flora picked up his 300th career victory last weekend at the Wildcat Invitational when the Red Raiders topped Grand Canyon, 3-1. Flora is now 301-95 in 14 seasons as a collegiate head coach after last weekend and 32-36 while with the Red Raiders.
• Texas Tech has found significant success in non-conference action under Flora, who has led the Red Raiders to a 28-8 mark in such matches during his two-plus seasons.