2013 Red Cross Military Champion Sgt. Monica Deleon - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2013 Red Cross Military Champion Sgt. Monica Deleon

Selflessness is in a solider's job description, but, even after three deployments, Sgt. Monica Deleon believes her service has only just begun.

"I'm not a hero. I just do what my heart tells me to do," Deleon said.

The mother of three has served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, so she has plenty of experiencing dealing with stress, trauma, and loss.

"Who better to help me cope with loss and post traumatic stress and anxiety issues, and transitioning back into civilian life, than a veteran who has done it," Deleon said.

Deleon knows firsthand the trauma that comes from war.

Deleon said, "I see it. I see the struggle. I see my friends struggle. I see so many people I was close to on active duty struggle. And it hurts me. It pains me to see that struggle."

That's why Deleon is currently majoring in Human Sceinces at Texas Tech. She wants to counsel her comrades and help them heal.

Deleon said, "Soldiers don't like to admit they have it. They don't like to seek counseling for it. And I want to be one of those individuals who says, hey it's all right."

Deleon herself suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after working in the infamous Abu Graib prison and watching her fellow soliders fall.

"Whether it's war itself, or not bringing back a best friend - just being so far away from home. Every experience is different," Deleon said.

As a solider who has already given so much, Deleon hopes to continue serving and asks nothing in return.

"I don't doubt myself at all. I know I can help veterans. There's no doubt in my mind," Deleon said.

Deleon will be honored alongside other 2013 Red Cross champions during the 6th annual Champion's Breakfast. The event will be Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 a.m. at Aerocare.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Jury gets case after Cosby painted as predator, victim

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:26:54 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 2:32 PM EDT2018-04-25 18:32:08 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.

Jurors at Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial are poised to start deliberating after a marathon day of closing arguments.

Macron urges US to reject isolationism

Wednesday, April 25 2018 11:30 AM EDT2018-04-25 15:30:41 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 2:30 PM EDT2018-04-25 18:30:21 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). French President Emmanuel Macron gestures as he is introduced before speaking to a joint meeting of Congress on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, April 25, 2018.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). French President Emmanuel Macron gestures as he is introduced before speaking to a joint meeting of Congress on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
    French President Emmanuel Macron extolled the "special bond" between the United States and France during his speech in front of a joint meeting of Congress.

Lax vetting on Trump nominees begins to frustrate senators

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:47:40 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 2:30 PM EDT2018-04-25 18:30:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.

As President Donald Trump's pick to lead Veterans Affairs skids to a halt, senators from both parties are voicing frustration that the White House is skipping crucial vetting of nominees and leaving lawmakers to clean up the mess.