2013 Red Cross Military Champion Sgt. Monica Deleon - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2013 Red Cross Military Champion Sgt. Monica Deleon

Selflessness is in a solider's job description, but, even after three deployments, Sgt. Monica Deleon believes her service has only just begun.

"I'm not a hero. I just do what my heart tells me to do," Deleon said.

The mother of three has served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, so she has plenty of experiencing dealing with stress, trauma, and loss.

"Who better to help me cope with loss and post traumatic stress and anxiety issues, and transitioning back into civilian life, than a veteran who has done it," Deleon said.

Deleon knows firsthand the trauma that comes from war.

Deleon said, "I see it. I see the struggle. I see my friends struggle. I see so many people I was close to on active duty struggle. And it hurts me. It pains me to see that struggle."

That's why Deleon is currently majoring in Human Sceinces at Texas Tech. She wants to counsel her comrades and help them heal.

Deleon said, "Soldiers don't like to admit they have it. They don't like to seek counseling for it. And I want to be one of those individuals who says, hey it's all right."

Deleon herself suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after working in the infamous Abu Graib prison and watching her fellow soliders fall.

"Whether it's war itself, or not bringing back a best friend - just being so far away from home. Every experience is different," Deleon said.

As a solider who has already given so much, Deleon hopes to continue serving and asks nothing in return.

"I don't doubt myself at all. I know I can help veterans. There's no doubt in my mind," Deleon said.

Deleon will be honored alongside other 2013 Red Cross champions during the 6th annual Champion's Breakfast. The event will be Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 7:30 a.m. at Aerocare.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Man with chainsaw wounds 5 in Swiss city; manhunt on for him

Monday, July 24 2017 7:25 AM EDT2017-07-24 11:25:41 GMT
    Monday, July 24 2017 10:57 AM EDT2017-07-24 14:57:22 GMT

Swiss police say that five people have been hospitalized, two of them with serious injuries, following an incident in the northern city of Schaffhausen.

Death toll reaches 10 in immigrant-smuggling case in Texas

Monday, July 24 2017 1:11 AM EDT2017-07-24 05:11:22 GMT
    Monday, July 24 2017 10:48 AM EDT2017-07-24 14:48:49 GMT

Officials say nearly 20 other people rescued from the back of the rig early Sunday were hospitalized in dire condition, many with extreme dehydration and heatstroke.

Girl's HIV infection seems under control without AIDS drugs

Monday, July 24 2017 4:15 AM EDT2017-07-24 08:15:34 GMT
    Monday, July 24 2017 10:48 AM EDT2017-07-24 14:48:30 GMT

A South African girl born with the AIDS virus has kept her infection suppressed for 8 1/2 years after stopping anti-HIV medicines.