Lubbock family homeless after Tuesday night fire - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock family homeless after Tuesday night fire


A family lost their home on Tuesday night after a fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. near Crockett and Kent Street, a few miles east of the Lubbock County Jail.

When we arrived on the scene, the entire house was engulfed in flames and smoke could be seen from about two miles away.

Fire crews from Roosevelt, Idalou, New Deal and Buffalo Springs were all working together to put the fire out.

We don't know an exact cause at this time but the home owner told us everyone got out safely.

We were able to speak with one of the residents who first saw the fire while he was outside getting more firewood.

Darnell Johnson said, "I went back in the house and I looked in my closet and the roof was on fire. I went in there and tried to get water to put it out and the kitchen was on fire. I just got my wife out of there."

Johnson says the only he is asking for are prayers from the community to help him get through this. He is thankful that none of his family members were injured.

"I just want some prayer for me to be strong and to carry on," he said.

"I'm glad I got my wife and I out of there," Johnson said. "Materials don't mean anything without life and loved ones."

The Idalou Fire Department says the fire appears to have started in the chimney.

They say the homeowner lit a fire in the fireplace. No one was hurt, but the home is a total loss.

The Red Cross is now assisting the couple with shelter and other needs.

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly