Levelland house fire caused by gas explosion - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Levelland house fire caused by gas explosion

Posted: Updated:
LEVELLAND, TX (KCBD) -

Investigators have determined that a house fire that killed one early Sunday morning was caused by a gas explosion. 

Investigators say an open gas valve on the line allowed gas to enter the room, but they have not yet identified an ignition source.

55-year-old Rodney Serenil died Monday morning at University Medical Center in Lubbock.

Fire investigators say he suffered serious burns late Sunday morning, when flames broke out at a home on the east side of town.

Four others were injured and investigators have ruled the home as a total loss.

Serenil's brother Bobby tells us Rodney is the oldest of six children.

He was a graduate of Levelland High School and worked in the oil field before retiring.

He took care of his parents, who were in the home when it caught fire. They were able to escape serious injury.

"He was just an all around good guy; he'd do anything for you," Bobby Serenil said. "He's in a better place now. He's not suffering anymore, and that's pretty much all I have to say right now."

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.