Plainview family still searching for relatives in the Phillipine - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Plainview family still searching for relatives in the Philippines

Dr. Victor Gutierrez can't believe what has happened to his home.

"I'm heartbroken," he said. "I've had sleepless nights; I have dreams about them and those people."

He grew up on Leyte Island. His wife grew up on Salmar Island, in a town called Hernani, both directly in the path of the storm.

"It's a very lovely place and I cry for them... It's hard to explain these things," Gutierrez said.

He met his wife in Tacloban, the epicenter of the storm, when they were in college. After they came to the United States, he and his wife donated a library to his wife's hometown of Hernani. Now he says it's the only building left standing there in what has become a wasteland.

"I smell death. I am so far away and I know the smell in Tacloban, where I went to school. I played in those streets. When I see those streets now, it's very disturbing for me."

In the six days since the typhoon hit, locating family has been the number one priority.

"I found my sister two days ago and I found my nephew who was in Tacloban, the center of the storm, last night."

His wife is still searching. Amado Candido and his five children, Maria Claire Candido and Paul Matthew Candido are all still missing. Gutierrez asked we post those names in case anyone can give him any information. All he can do is pray they are safe.

"Our only ally is hope. I think that's what we hope. Hope springs eternal we hope that there will be a rainbow at the end."

Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.

3 injured in Oklahoma City shooting; gunman killed by armed civilian

Thursday, May 24 2018 8:28 PM EDT2018-05-25 00:28:26 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:31 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:31:25 GMT

Local media reported five people were injured, and that the suspect was dead.

Local media reported five people were injured, and that the suspect was dead.

Trump awards Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL in Afghan assault

Thursday, May 24 2018 3:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:12:14 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:34 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:34:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...(AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...
    President Donald Trump has awarded the Medal of Honor to a Navy SEAL who oversaw a daring assault and rescue mission on a snowy Afghanistan mountaintop in 2002.

Dem, GOP leaders get classified briefings on Russia probe

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:42:28 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:34 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:34:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...

A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.