Snow and ice turned Lubbock into a Winter Wonderland on Sunday.
"It's a snow day, I always got to have fun," said Texas Tech student Clay Parish. "Anytime it snows we get a chance to come out and sled or do something."
"We were dying all morning just to get out of the house and go do this," said Texas Tech Student Lydia Hardcastle. "We use open house signs, not real sleds and they work great," said Amanda Mitchell.
But it's not all fun and games.
"We've been really busy these past couple of days," said LPD Sgt. Jason Lewis.
Busy is an understatement. Since Friday, the Lubbock Police Department has responded to hundreds of wrecks due to road conditions and they are urging people to be cautious.
"Right now the big concern is going to be once the sun goes down tonight and early tomorrow morning," he said. "As you approach an intersection there's going to be ice when you get there so just be ready... You may not be able to stop once you get close to that intersection when it freezes."
Lubbock Fire Rescue has been on the scene of many accidents as well, just one of the many problems that arise in the cold.
"Over this weekend we've had two separate incidents - a total of eight people hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning," said Lubbock Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Rob Keinast.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas caused by incomplete combustion.
"Central heating units, obviously winter time we'll have a lot there," he said. "You can have a water heater, fireplace, it's as easy as just having the damper closed on the fireplace."
The inhaled symptoms are similar to flu but if left untreated it can turn deadly, which is why precaution for home owners is so important.
"The best thing that homeowners can do is have carbon monoxide detectors. We recommend a minimum of one per floor."
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.