Lubbock Fire Rescue responded to a fire and possible explosion reported at UMC near the McInturff Center around 11 a.m. on Thursday afternoon.
Hospital officials say the fire began in the hospital's endoscopy (GI) lab due to construction. The lab was evacuated as well as the Southwest Cancer Center, the surgery center, and emergency room due to smoke filtering through those areas.
Lubbock Fire Rescue contained and put out the fire.
Hospital officials reports that a total of 12 people were injured in the fire. Eleven construction workers and medical staff suffered from smoke inhalation and one construction worker suffered burns to his hands and arms. All were treated and released.
UMC's emergency room has been reopened to the public. However, hospital officials say Endoscopy and Outpatient Surgery, where the fire began, remains closed.