Food for Thought: 1.23 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Food for Thought: 1.23

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Heath inspectors shut down the kitchen of a local sports grill and bar after their latest inspection.

KCBD NewsChannel 11's Christy Hartin explains why in this week's Food for Thought:

Health inspectors checked out Buca's Sports Grill and Bar at 5015 University this week. They were cited with 11 critical violations; they stopped food service because of two of those.

To begin with, all fixed-location restaurants must have a certified food manager to operate; Buca's does not have one.

Also, they must have a three-compartment sink or a mechanical dishwasher to wash, rinse and sanitize equipment and utensils; Buca's didn't have one of those either.

Here's a look at their other violations.

  • Tomato sauce in a cooler was above 41 degrees.
  • Tomato sauce, onions and bell peppers were molded.
  • Raw pork was stored above ready to eat foods.
  • Tomato sauce and cheese did not have a datemark.
  • The sprayer of the sink was hanging below the flood lip of a sink.
  • There was no soap or paper towels at the kitchen hand sink or in the restroom.
  • Chemical cleaners were near food items.
  • There was no thermometer in the walk in cooler or a food thermometer.
  • The microwave was heavily soiled and numerous food contact surfaces were dirty.

Churches Chicken at 905 Ave. Q had seven critical violations.

  • Cole slaw was above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
  • Chicken was not at least 135 degrees.
  • Cole slaw did not have a date mark.
  • An employee did not wash their hands when changing tasks.
  • Flour and a sponge were in a hand sink.
  • The handle of an ice scoop was in the ice. The employee was not wearing gloves and did not wash their hands before putting their hands in the ice to remove the scoop.
  • Sanitizer was at toxic levels.

The report shows all violations were corrected at the time of the inspection.

Koko Café at 5201 Ave. Q had six critical violations.

  • Several items, including raw sausage and bacon, were above 41 degrees.
  • An employee was smoking near the bread storage. The inspector noted – that smoking shall never be done inside a food establishment.
  • Raw eggs were stored above produce.
  • Taco meat was expired.
  • There was no certified food manager.
  • Dirty utensils were stored with clean ones.
  • The report shows most violations were corrected during the initial inspection.

Here's a look at this week's top performers:

  • Anna's Mexican Restaurant at 6923 Indiana
  • Bill's Drive-in at 1912 Clovis Hwy
  • Chipotle Mexican Grill at 2411 Glenna Goodacre
  • Pedro's Tamales at 8207 Hwy 87
  • Red Lobster at 5034 50th
  • Shrimp Galley at 5109 82nd
  • Sonic Drive In at 1901 34th
  • Taco Bell at 6512 82nd

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.