A silent, colorless, odorless gas claimed the life of a man who was staying at a Lubbock motel last week. That motel is now facing two lawsuits.
Harold Rutherford, 58, was found dead last week at the Budget Motel on East 34th Street. Authorities believe he suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fire officials say there shouldn't be any amount of carbon monoxide in a motel room, but during an investigation they said a detector reached the 700 range in the room Rutherford was found dead in.
Sharon Parson and Cedric Turner said they just want someone to be held accountable for their father's death.
"When I first found out I called him back and I told him to quit playing, you don't have to play a joke on me, I'll come by to visit. And I still be hoping it be a joke but it's not," Parson said.
For Cedric and Sharon, the news of their father's death still doesn't seem real.
"I just can't believe it. Sometimes I just want to pick my phone up and call him. But I can't because I know he ain't going to pick the phone up," Turner said.
They say their dad was full of life and his life was taken too soon.
"I just don't want nothing like this to happen to nobody else because it's a terrible feeling to lose a loved one. He had plenty of time left, he was just 58 years old," Parson said.
Investigators say carbon monoxide leaked into the room from a faulty heating unit. Fire officials say carbon monoxide detectors aren't required but Rutherford's children says something should be done so it doesn't happen again.
"I just believe that they should be safe regardless because people or the public coming out of anywhere to go get a room, they should be able to feel safe to go sleep and come home, make it out the next day," she said.
Parson and Turner said someone needs to be held accountable for what has been done.
"I really just want for them to be responsible for what they have done to my dad," Parson said.
A $10-million lawsuit has been filed against the motel in connection with Rutherford's death.
Parson tells us she has not spoken to the relative who filed the lawsuit and had no knowledge of it until KCBD brought it to her attention on Friday.
KCBD also reached out to the owners of the Budget Motel for comment but they have not responded as of Friday night.
RELATED STORY: 1 dead after carbon monoxide poisoning at Budget Motel
Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.