Oneta Whitlock celebrates 70 years of love - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Oneta Whitlock celebrates 70 years of love

Oneta and L.B. Whitlock have been married for 70 years Oneta and L.B. Whitlock have been married for 70 years

It all started with a nervous hello.

"The first time I saw her, I knew she was for me. I think sometimes that happens."

L.B. Whitlock can still remember the butterflies he felt when he first saw his wife of 70 years, Oneta.

But she jokes that his secret crush was never a secret at all.

"I couldn't keep from knowing!" she said. "He was always after me."

Oneta Whitlock celebrated her 92nd birthday on this day devoted to love.

And she said that each year she learns more about life, love and what it means to make it work.

But when it comes to the secrets of love…

"Open communication," she said. "People say ‘don't go to bed angry.' I can't say we haven't done that, but morning starts a new day, and we have to talk it out."

L.B. says that his secret to long lasting love is commitment.

"You've got to know that she's the one you want," he said.

For the past 70 years, Oneta has been documenting her life with poems in a book.

She writes about loss and love, heartache and joy, and each one about the beautiful journey with L.B. by her side.

Excerpt from book:

"If out of time,

I could lift tender moments

And keep them shining,

Always new;

I'd choose the brightest of the past

That I have spent with you."

-Oneta M. Whitlock

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

China's Xi to meet Trump, who predicts 'difficult' meeting

Thursday, March 30 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:36:09 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:36:09 GMT

China says President Xi Jinping will meet his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump at the latter's Florida resort next Thursday and Friday.

Flynn offers to testify in Russia probe for immunity, report says

Thursday, March 30 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:27:55 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 8:30 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:30:50 GMT

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn told the Federal Bureau of Investigation he would testify about possible Russian ties with the Trump campaign in exchange for immunity.

Fire causes I-85 overpass to collapse in Atlanta

Thursday, March 30 2017 7:36 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:36:07 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 7:52 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:52:43 GMT

Witnesses say troopers were telling cars to turn around on the bridge because they were concerned about its integrity before its collapse.