Lubbock Fire Rescue dispatched a hazmat crew to the 2400 block of 25th Street on Monday afternoon.
A representative with the Lubbock Fire Department said there was a leak from a 55-gallon drum full of liquid used to make ink.
The liquid is a skin irritant and about a gallon of it spilled on the ground.
No one was exposed to the chemical, but fire department officials were concerned about this drum being present in an alley were children could be exposed.
There are two different daycare centers close to the alley.
A hazmat crew transferred the drum into a secure container and scooped up the soil where the liquid spilled.
Officials are still investigating how this material came to be in this location. Codes enforcement is investigating the incident and will determine if any citations need to be issued.
Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.