House fire started by cigarette, three in hospital - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

House fire started by cigarette, three in hospital

Reports came out Saturday morning of an elderly woman trapped inside a burning home in the 9700 block of Jordan Ave.

Lubbock Fire Department and EMS were called out to the home just after 5:30 a.m., and the fire was put out by 5:45 a.m.

The cause was determined to be from a cigarette the elderly woman was smoking in bed while on oxygen.

The two other occupants in the home attempted to get the woman out of the bedroom after the fire had started, but were unable get to her. She was eventually rescued by firefighters.

All three people were transported to UMC. The woman was admitted with smoke inhalation and burn injuries to her back. She is now listed in satisfactory condition.

The two other occupants were admitted with smoke inhalation.

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Xavier knocks off Arizona 73-71 in West Region

    Xavier knocks off Arizona 73-71 in West Region

    Friday, March 24 2017 1:57 AM EDT2017-03-24 05:57:24 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 1:57 AM EDT2017-03-24 05:57:24 GMT

    Trevon Bluiett scored 25 points, Sean O'Mara scored inside with 40 seconds left and No. 11 seed Xavier upset No. 2 Arizona 73-71 in the West Region.

    Trevon Bluiett scored 25 points, Sean O'Mara scored inside with 40 seconds left and No. 11 seed Xavier upset No. 2 Arizona 73-71 in the West Region.

  • LP&L, Xcel Energy sign 2 year power contract

    LP&L, Xcel Energy sign 2 year power contract

    Friday, March 24 2017 1:20 AM EDT2017-03-24 05:20:40 GMT

    Contract will supply the City of Lubbock with 400 megawatts of capacity, effectively covering all power supply needs through 2021.

    Contract will supply the City of Lubbock with 400 megawatts of capacity, effectively covering all power supply needs through 2021.

  • Roberts Co. fire burns 60,000 acres

    Roberts Co. fire burns 60,000 acres

    Friday, March 24 2017 12:53 AM EDT2017-03-24 04:53:20 GMT
    A large fire near Miami in Roberts County has burned 60,000 acres, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service. Multiple agencies are currently on scene battling the fire / Source: KFDAA large fire near Miami in Roberts County has burned 60,000 acres, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service. Multiple agencies are currently on scene battling the fire / Source: KFDA

    The Texas A&M Forest Service said 60,000 acres have burned in the Rankin Ranch Road Fire, a large blaze burning near Miami in Roberts County.

    The Texas A&M Forest Service said 60,000 acres have burned in the Rankin Ranch Road Fire, a large blaze burning near Miami in Roberts County.

Powered by Frankly