Four Abernathy residents are now out of the hospital after an overnight fire. It started around 1 a.m. Wednesday near 11th and Jerome Street.
The family tells us they believe it was an electrical fire that quickly consumed the home.
A 77-year-old woman, her 33-year-old granddaughter and her two great grandchildren, a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old, were all taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The 33-year-old mother of those children was also in the home and suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns.
Family members said it is a miracle they all survived.
A pile of rubble is all that is left of Ester Marez's childhood home.
"My dad worked real hard at the compress. When he retired he bought mom the house," Marez said.
Marez's mother is now 77-years-old and shares the home with Ester's daughter and grandchildren. Ester lives next door.
"I looked and I saw the fire coming out of the windows," Ester said. "One of the neighbors, a guy, ran over and got my grandkids out," she added.
However, her mother was still stuck inside the home. She said her mom is on dialysis and crawled through the home to escape the smoke and flames. Ester said it is a miracle she survived.
"I really in truly thought I was going to lose her because we couldn't find her and that fire was just out of control," Ester said.
Ester's family members were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation; her daughter also suffered minor burns. Family immediately came to help and to comfort Ester's grandchildren who were worried about their mother's injuries.
"They kept asking for her and all we could do was comfort them," said family member Nathan Mendoza.
As they continue to recover from physically from this traumatic experience they will need a place to stay and something to wear.
"Her son kept saying, 'we don't have a home,'" Mendoza explained.
Despite this loss, they continue to count their blessings.
"I just thank the Lord they are safe and mom made it out," Ester said.
So how will this family recover after losing everything?
"Prayer and hope," Mendoza said.
Unfortunately the family also lost their dog in the fire.
They are staying with family until permanent arrangements are made.
Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.