Political Tensions Turn Physical - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

11/1/04

Political Tensions Turn Physical

Tensions seem to be running high on the local political scene. This weekend a verbal confrontation between Cody Gaines, a volunteer for the Charlie Stenholm campaign, and Robert Pratt, Lubbock County's Republican Party Chair, reportedly turned physical.

It happened at a Lubbock Cotton Kings hockey game Saturday night. Now, both men have two very different accounts of what happened.

"I ran into Mr. Pratt in the hall way a little later," said Gaines.

"They sought me out. They left their table and came a third of the way around to me the arena to me," said Pratt.

"I heard what you said and I really don't appreciate that. I felt it was disrespectful and inappropriate," Gaines said.

"They just started in on me. And I was like guys the Congressman came to me and I didn't say anything rude to him I mean I asked him a tough question," Pratt said.

"The whole time his voice kept getting louder and louder until he reached the point of yelling at me," Gaines said.

"I probably should of just walked away," Pratt said.

"Before I could even finish he grabbed me and slammed me into the wall. And my head hit the wall," Gaines said.

"I pushed him against the wall and said look don't call me a bigot. That is something I am not," Pratt said.

No punches were thrown, but both men agree the situation got out of control. Gaines filed a report with police and wants a public apology from Pratt. So far no charges have been filed.

US women beat Canada for gold in a 3-2 shootout thriller

Thursday, February 22 2018 2:34 AM EST2018-02-22 07:34:20 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:47 PM EST2018-02-22 18:47:33 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

Twenty long years after taking gold when the sport debuted in 1998, the United States snapped Canada's streak of four straight Olympic golds with a 3-2 shootout victory.

Nowitzki 'disgusted' by report of hostile workplace for Mavs

Wednesday, February 21 2018 2:13 AM EST2018-02-21 07:13:50 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:47 PM EST2018-02-22 18:47:17 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

The Dallas Mavericks have hired outside counsel to investigate allegations of inappropriate conduct by former team president Terdema Ussery in a Sports Illustrated report that described a hostile workplace environment for women.

Wise goes for it, and comes out with another Olympic gold

Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:26 PM EST2018-02-22 04:26:51 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:47 PM EST2018-02-22 18:47:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Gregory Bull). David Wise, of the United States, jumps during the men's halfpipe finals at Phoenix Snow Park at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Gregory Bull). David Wise, of the United States, jumps during the men's halfpipe finals at Phoenix Snow Park at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

It's the seventh gold medal for the U.S. in Pyeongchang, five of which have come from snowboard and freestyle skiing events.