5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Five people are now part of a class action lawsuit against the state health insurance exchange program.

Attorney Matthew Callister said he's been busy answering phone calls from people who claim they signed up for health insurance through the exchange and didn't receive it.

"I feel disappointed. I believe in the Affordable Care Act, but I can't get the coverage I want for my kids," said Kerry Leavitt.

Leavitt called the Nevada Health Exchange website worthless and said he wishes to add his name to the lawsuit. He said he's been trying to obtain health insurance for months with no luck.

"I feel basically, as a provider for my family … [I] can't provide," he said.

"There's a lot of fear – ‘I don't have coverage. What if something happens to me or my loved ones, especially after I contracted for and paid premiums?'" Callister said.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange was created last year to assist Nevadans in selecting a healthcare provider. The lawsuit was filed against the state and Xerox, the company that built the website.

"The state essentially is blaming Xerox, but I think there was a failure of due diligence on the part of the state," Callister said. "Sometimes the lowest bid is not the best bid."

When FOX5 reached out to the people behind the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in preparation for this story, we were told they could not comment on pending legislation.

The lawsuit does not specify a damage amount, just that it's in excess of $50,000.

The state has awarded Deloitte Consulting a $1.5 million contract to repair the system.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

UK opposition leader links terrorism to foreign wars

Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:28 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:28 GMT

British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing have arrested a ninth man while continuing to search addresses associated with the bomber who killed 22 concert-goers.

Egypt: Gunmen attack Christians, killing at least 24

Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:13 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:13 GMT

Egyptian state TV: 23 people, 25 wounded in militant attack on a bus with Coptic Christians south of Cairo.

Trump, G-7 peers seek deals on terrorism, trade, climate

Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:11 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 7:17 AM EDT2017-05-26 11:17:11 GMT

The differences are well-known: climate change, trade and migration threaten to throw a summit of the Group of Seven leading industrialized nations off its consensus game with U.S. President Donald Trump cast as the spoiler-in-chief.