A Lubbock restaurant was almost the scene of a propane explosion on Friday evening.
Lubbock Fire Rescue responded to the Lite Bite Mediterranean Cafe on 50th Street around 7:30 p.m. to find a tar pot engulfed in flames.
Tar pots are fueled by propane. Roofers use them to heat the tar before putting it on the roof.
Firefighters say when the pot gets too hot, it explodes, but,they tell us in this case, the roofers actually prevented the situation from becoming more dangerous.
"The roofers did a good job of pulling the propane tank away. They tried to put it out with an extinguisher but there was too much fire."
It took crews just a few minutes to put out the fire.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.