RV park resident recalls climbing out of storm wreckage - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

RV park resident recalls climbing out of storm wreckage

GAUTIER, MS (WLOX) -

Todd Berkesch said he was watching TV when a gust of wind turned his life and home upside down Monday night at Santa Maria RV Park in Gautier.

"I was just scared, I was pinned up in there," Berkesch said. "The trailer wasn't even shaking or anything and all of a sudden it just flipped. It was that quick."

Luckily, Berkesch was able to crawl out of his camper through a hole.

"I hurt my foot, something pinned my foot," Berkesch said. "I'm okay, I think so. I'm going to go get it checked out later."

But first Berkesch wanted to save everything he could from his camper and try to get his truck fixed. The strong winds knocked out the back window.

"I'm going to try to get me another place to live. I work right down the road at Huntington Ingalls, so I will try and get me another place to stay in," Berkesch said.

Carrie Guy and Wes Riley also spent the day trying to salvage what they could.

"We came in here and this right here was sitting up straight and this was laid up that way, the table across the camper," Guy said, describing the mess inside the camper that was on its side.

The destroyed camper belongs to Riley's daughter, Kayla, who is getting ready to be deployed to Afghanistan this weekend.

"She's worried, of course, because she just bought it, brand new," Riley said. "I guess you can say she lost something she just bought, her home for right now. But she's got insurance, thank goodness, and that will help take care of it."

Riley hopes a new camper will be waiting for her when she comes returns next year from her tour.

"I'm glad she wasn't in it," Riley said.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

• RV park resident recalls climbing out of storm wreckageMore>>

Storm leaves broken RVs and broken lives behind

In a matter of minutes, dozens of people had their lives literally turned upside down when a violent storm ripped through the Santa Maria RV park in Gautier Monday night. Tuesday morning, they got their first daylight look at what remains of their homes and belongings.

Weekend Outlook: Nice Saturday, Fire Weather returns Sunday

Saturday, March 25 2017 7:57 AM EDT2017-03-25 11:57:35 GMT
    Saturday, March 25 2017 7:57 AM EDT2017-03-25 11:57:35 GMT
    We are starting off the weekend cool, but warmer temperatures are on the way along with a break from high winds today. Sunday we will a combination of warm temperatures and southwesterly winds sustained at 20-30 mph in the afternoon hours. With high temperatures, low relative humidity values and high winds, we will see the return of an elevated risk for wildfires.

Epic collapse of GOP health care bill puts effort into limbo

Saturday, March 25 2017 4:18 AM EDT2017-03-25 08:18:31 GMT
    Saturday, March 25 2017 4:18 AM EDT2017-03-25 08:18:31 GMT

The failure of House Republicans to repeal and replace Barack Obama's health care law was nothing short of an epic, self-inflicted collapse.

US immigration judge grants asylum to Singapore teen blogger

Saturday, March 25 2017 3:39 AM EDT2017-03-25 07:39:44 GMT
    Saturday, March 25 2017 3:39 AM EDT2017-03-25 07:39:44 GMT

An immigration judge in Chicago has granted asylum to a Singapore teen whose online posts criticizing his government landed him in jail.