EXCLUSIVE: Jesse Rios says life 'torn to pieces' by DQ assault - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

EXCLUSIVE: Jesse Rios says life 'torn to pieces' by DQ assault

Jesse Rios is still recovering from injuries suffered in February Jesse Rios is still recovering from injuries suffered in February

Jesse Rios says his life changed forever on Feb. 1, 2014.

He was taking the trash out after a day of work at Dairy Queen when a man with a bat attacked him from behind.

Paul Anthony Rodriguez was arrested Wednesday, charged with brutally attacking Rios and his boss, Lisa Cazares.

"I will never be the same after that," Rios said.

Rios says he can still remember that night, and Cazares yelling his name from inside the store as she was attacked with a metal bat.

"Now that I look back, I was just thrown out there - thrown out there on the pavement bleeding. And my boss was inside yelling out my name saying ‘Jesse! Jesse!' That's what I remember, my name being yelled out and bleeding out of my head," Rios said.

The scars from that night remain but Rios says it's not the physical battle that has been the hardest to overcome.

"I feel like my life has just been a devastation - like it was torn into pieces and it's not my fault." Rios said.

The path to recovery has offered challenge after challenge, but Rios says he's looking to the future with courage and strength.

"When they release me from here I plan on going back to Dairy Queen."

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Macy's parade rolls on with balloons, bands, security

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:32 AM EST2017-11-23 05:32:23 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:32 PM EST2017-11-23 18:32:57 GMT

The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.

Olympic gymnastics ex-doctor pleads guilty to sex charges

Wednesday, November 22 2017 1:51 AM EST2017-11-22 06:51:40 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:23 PM EST2017-11-23 18:23:42 GMT

Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among the doctor's victims.

In terror-wary NYC, security tight for Thanksgiving parade

Wednesday, November 22 2017 10:01 AM EST2017-11-22 15:01:53 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:23 PM EST2017-11-23 18:23:19 GMT

Security for the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will feature trucks filled with sand, concrete barriers and scores of police officers.