Residents use Sea-Doos to get around flooded neighborhood - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Residents use Sea-Doos to get around flooded neighborhood

D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) -

Two days of rain has caused the Tchoutacabouffa River to rise as many as six feet above flood stage.

"I was freaking out," Riverwalk North Resident Nathan Tavai said.

Tavai said he looked out his window Wednesday morning and saw water covering the streets.

"It's been kind of crazy. I woke up at 7 for a final and saw the water was above our mailbox out in the front yard," Tavai said. "There was a Papa John's car that we saw that was completely flooded, so it's been pretty deep, pretty crazy."

Most of the residents have the drill down pat, take the Sea-Doo until it is too shallow, then wade in the water until you get to your car parked on higher ground. That trick saved Tavai from missing his final exam.

"We are relatively new," Tavai said. "We moved in about a year ago, but it has happened two or three times since we have lived here, so we are getting used to it."

"No, it's nothing I like, but it's where I live right now so I have to deal with it," said resident Vicky Amos.

Amos is also fairly new to the neighborhood, but it only took her getting stuck inside her house one time to learn.

"I was due to work, and I could not get there because my car was inside my garage," Amos said. "The flood does not come up the hill where I live, but you are stuck because you can't get out of your garage. Last night for preparation, when I heard on WLOX that it was going to rise the river was rising, I decided to move my car out."

Next, Amos said she will get a Sea-Doo or boat to get around like her neighbors do.

"I need to invest in it if I plan on staying here," Amos said.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

• Residents use Sea-Doos to get around flooded neighborhoodMore>>

Trump awards Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL in Afghan assault

Thursday, May 24 2018 3:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:12:14 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 3:14 AM EDT2018-05-25 07:14:27 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...(AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump stands with Master Chief Special Warfare Operator Britt K. Slabinski during a ceremony to award him the Medal of Honor in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Slabinski o...
    President Donald Trump has awarded the Medal of Honor to a Navy SEAL who oversaw a daring assault and rescue mission on a snowy Afghanistan mountaintop in 2002.

Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 3:13 AM EDT2018-05-25 07:13:14 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

Police: 2 shot at Oklahoma restaurant; civilian kills gunman

Friday, May 25 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:02:34 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 3:04 AM EDT2018-05-25 07:04:51 GMT

Police: Man armed with pistol shot and wounded two customers at Oklahoma City restaurant before being shot dead by handgun-carrying civilian in parking lot.