Quiet neighborhood shocked by afternoon SWAT callout - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Quiet neighborhood shocked by afternoon SWAT callout

Anthony Lopez Anthony Lopez
Michael Allen Michael Allen
Mariano Flores Mariano Flores

Homeowners in the area of 63rd and Avenue U were shocked Wednesday afternoon when a domestic disturbance turned deadly.

"We had cops in the alley and then SWAT team sitting down at the end... We had guys sitting outside in the alley talking about looking for somebody, helicopter flying around five or six times, so I just checked to make sure someone wasn't in the backyard. I just didn't know what was going on," said neighborhood resident Michael Allen. "Didn't know if somebody was getting robbed or someone was tearing things down and breaking into something."

Mariano Flores only found out what was happening after receiving a call from his wife.

"She went out to the backyard to smoke and while she was sitting out there she noticed the police officers were sitting in the alley. It appeared like they had their weapons drawn, like they were trying to hunt somebody down," he said. "The first thing I told her, I said, honey I need for you to get back inside the house because I sure would hate for some gunfire or something to start and you might get hit by a stray bullet or something."

Officers remained on the scene most of the afternoon continuing to investigate, causing many people coming home from work to wonder what happened.

"I had just got out of work and I was just heading back to the house and the whole street was blocked off," said Anthony Lopez. "There were cops everywhere."

Area residents say normally it is a very quiet neighborhood and weren't worried about further incidents.

"It's unusual that it happened this way," Allen said. "Most of the time it doesn't happen like that around here. My mom's in a wheelchair, I take care of her at night, so I have to make sure to keep track of everything around here, keep the door locked, the fence locked, that kind of stuff."

"I trust the Lord that he's going to take care of me," Flores said.

"I'm not worried," Lopez said. "I've seen worse."

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Investigators: DNA from genealogy site caught serial killer

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-04-27 01:04:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

Explosion rocks Wisconsin refinery, forcing evacuations

Thursday, April 26 2018 12:38 PM EDT2018-04-26 16:38:58 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-04-27 01:04:34 GMT
    A fire burns after an explosion at a refinery in Wisconsin that wounded multiple people on Thursday. (Source: WCCO/CNN)A fire burns after an explosion at a refinery in Wisconsin that wounded multiple people on Thursday. (Source: WCCO/CNN)

Several people have been injured in an explosion at a refinery in Wisconsin.

Several people have been injured in an explosion at a refinery in Wisconsin.

The Latest: Browns pick Ohio State cornerback Ward 4th

Thursday, April 26 2018 6:31 PM EDT2018-04-26 22:31:36 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:03 PM EDT2018-04-27 01:03:23 GMT
    (AP Photo/Tom R. Smedes, File). FILE - In this Oct. 22, 2016, file photo, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen reacts after scoring a touchdown in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Nevada in Reno, Nev. Allen is expected to be a first r...(AP Photo/Tom R. Smedes, File). FILE - In this Oct. 22, 2016, file photo, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen reacts after scoring a touchdown in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Nevada in Reno, Nev. Allen is expected to be a first r...
    The NFL has renewed an exclusive partnership with Amazon Prime Video for digital streaming of Thursday night games during 2018 and 2019 seasons.