Shanon Hays resigns as head softball coach at Texas Tech - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Shanon Hays resigns as head softball coach at Texas Tech

Provided by Texas Tech University

Texas Tech Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt announced on Tuesday that Shanon Hays has resigned from his duties as head softball coach at Texas Tech University.

"I have enjoyed very much my tenure here at Tech and I am confident the administration here will find a coach that will continue the winning tradition my staff and I have been able to establish," Hays said. "I am very thankful to have coached all the great student-athletes that have been in our program the last five years as well as my awesome staff. I wish the very best to all the coaches in the department and I am thankful to have been a part of it all."

Hays just completed his fifth season at Texas Tech where he accumulated a record of 186-96 during his tenure as head coach.

"I would like to thank Coach Hays for his service to Texas Tech," Hocutt said. "I wish him the best."

A national search to find Hays' replacement is underway.

Right-wing firebrand plans to hold rally at UC Berkeley

Saturday, September 23 2017 4:56 PM EDT2017-09-23 20:56:48 GMT
    Sunday, September 24 2017 5:28 AM EDT2017-09-24 09:28:12 GMT

Right-wing commentator Milo Yiannopoulos says he plans to hold a rally at the University of California, Berkeley after a student group who planned a week of events with him pulled out.

Trump comments on Curry, NFL protests anger athletes

Saturday, September 23 2017 11:36 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:36:59 GMT
    Sunday, September 24 2017 4:42 AM EDT2017-09-24 08:42:30 GMT

Wading into thorny issues of race and politics, Trump's comments in a Friday night speech and a series of Saturday tweets drew sharp responses from some of the nation's top athletes.

South Korea says natural North Korea earthquake detected

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 09:56:13 GMT
    Sunday, September 24 2017 4:28 AM EDT2017-09-24 08:28:44 GMT

South Korea's weather agency says a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.