Lubbock deputies catch motorcycle thief in resident's yard - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock deputies catch motorcycle thief in resident's yard

Lubbock County resident Paul Garcia had just returned home from work on Tuesday afternoon when he was given the scare of a lifetime.

"I was sitting in the recliner inside my house and I heard some noise. I heard the slamming of car doors," he said.

Paul assumed it was his wife returning from picking up their grandchildren so he pretended to be asleep. But when no one came through the front door he quickly realized there was something else going on.

Paul heard more noise and stepped outside.

"I saw a Sheriff's car and I said what's going on? I looked to my left and there was two Sheriff's deputies looking behind my house. Somebody said we already got him, we got him," Garcia said. "One of the Sheriff's deputies looked at me and said go back in. He said go back in the house, so I went back inside."

According to Lt. Bryan Taylor with the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office, a man had stolen a motorcycle and crashed near the Garcia home. He tried to run away on foot and was eventually arrested in the Garcia's yard. Lt. Taylor couldn't release a name at this time.

Garcia says it was quite a shock and enough excitement for one lifetime.

"Nothing like that has ever happened to me ever," he said. "My dog was barking so I said well, mamma has come home already from picking up the kids so it shocked me, it really did."

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

To many Americans, Memorial Day has lost its meaning

Monday, May 29 2017 12:59 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:59:39 GMT
    Monday, May 29 2017 12:59 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:59:39 GMT

While millions of Americans celebrate the long Memorial Day weekend as the unofficial start of summer, some veterans and loved ones of fallen military members wish the holiday would command more respect.

Kelly defends plan for Russia back channel as a 'good thing'

Monday, May 29 2017 12:39 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:39:13 GMT
    Monday, May 29 2017 12:39 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:39:13 GMT

Homeland Security secretary defends an alleged effort by top White House adviser Jared Kushner to create back-channel communications.

Trump lashes out at leaks, considers staff upheaval

Monday, May 29 2017 12:39 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:39:02 GMT
    Monday, May 29 2017 12:39 PM EDT2017-05-29 16:39:02 GMT

Frustrated with what he views as his team's inability to push back against the drumbeat of new revelations, Trump is seeking expanded teams of lawyers and experienced public relations hands.