The Centers for Disease Control announced today that approximately 75 of their staff members working at their Atlanta headquarters may have been exposed to live anthrax.
It happened after an incorrect procedure failed to inactivate live anthrax samples to safe levels for handling. Lab workers who later worked with the samples used inadequate protective equipment.
Also, procedures in at least two or three effected labs may have released anthrax spores into the air. The CDC says the risk of infection is still low under the circumstances, but they are taking aggressive steps to treat those who were possibly exposed with protective courses of antibiotics.
Labs and hallway areas were thoroughly tested and decontaminated.
The CDC has launched an internal investigation to determine why the correct procedures were not followed.
Copyright 2013 KCBD. All rights reserved.