Food for Thought: 6/26 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Food for Thought: 6/26


We've got a mixed-plate of top and low performers in this week's Food for Thought. KCBD NewsChannel 11's Christy Hartin serves up the scores.

We start at the top - here's a look at this week's top performers:

  • Gordito's Mexican Restaurant at 3410 98th St.
  • Hank's BBQ at 1502 FM 400
  • Raspados Colima at 2713 2nd St.

Now to this week's two low performers.

Hayashi at 4220 82nd St. had nine critical violations.

  • Eggs and raw scallops were above 41 degrees.
  • Employees did not wash their hands for at least 20 seconds and turned off the faucet with their bare hands instead of using a paper towel.
  • An employee wiped their hands on a towel; then used the towel to dry the counter; then handled dishes without washing their hands.
  • Food items were stored around the hand sink. Buckets of rice were on the floor under a hand sink.
  • There were no temperature logs for salmon.
  • Cleaning chemicals were not labeled.
  • The dish wash machine was not washing or sanitizing.
  • Several kitchen utensils were dirty.
  • The investigator notes that, due to the number and the nature of the violations, food safety knowledge was not demonstrated.

Management tells KCBD that everything was corrected immediately.

They reported that, "We take each and every inspection very seriously, and it gives us opportunity to identify process-gaps and improve," adding, "All new employees have received necessary aching and development. Our goal is always great services and making sure we exceeded health expectation standards."

The report shows all violations were correct while the inspector was there.

Rooftop Café at 3300 82nd St. also had nine critical violations.

  • Several cold food items were not 41 degrees or below.
  • An employee did not properly wash their hands before putting on gloves.
  • Eggs were stored above hash browns.
  • There was no soap at a hand sink.
  • The dishwasher was not sanitizing.
  • There was no thermometer in a reach-in cooler.
  • Mold was forming inside the ice machine.
  • The facility did not have proper signage for the consumption of undercooked foods.
  • The inspector notes that, due to the number and the nature of the violations, management did not show proper food safety knowledge.

The report shows most violations were corrected immediately.

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly