Food for Thought: 8/7 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Food for Thought: 8/7

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Cockroach contamination and an insect infestation, those are just some of the many violations at one of this week's low performers.

There's a second low performer on the menu plus one stop at the top.

KCBD NewsChannel 11's Christy Hartin dishes out this week's edition of Food for Thought.

We begin at Lin's Buffet at 5608 Slide; inspectors found 10 critical violations.

  • They observed multiple life-cycles and types of cockroaches. The dry storage area was contaminated with live cockroaches. Another storage area was infested with insects.
  • There were multiple forms of unapproved pest control.
  • Chicken, noodles and cut fruit were above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
  • An employee did not wash their hands before putting on their gloves.
  • Frozen food was not from an approved source.
  • Raw eggs were stored above vegetables.
  • Ready to eat chicken and pasta did not have an expiration date.
  • The ceiling and a toilet were leaking. Grease buckets were over-flowing.
  • There was standing and dripping water in the kitchen and over food-prep areas.

The inspector notes, due to the number and the nature of the violations management did not demonstrate proper food safety knowledge.

Management was unavailable for comment. The report shows most of the violations were corrected during the inspection.

George's at 6914 82nd also had 10 critical violations.

  • Mashed potatoes, diced potatoes and rice were not cooling properly. This can cause bacteria growth.
  • Multiple cold food items were not 41 degrees or below.
  • The temperature inside the walk-in cooler was 48 degrees. It must be able to keep foods at 41 degrees or below.
  • Beef patties and cooked onions were not at least 135 degrees.
  • The hand sink was being used to fill and store the sanitizer bucket. To prevent cross-contamination, hand sinks are for hand washing only. There was an uncovered drink in the kitchen.
  • Raw eggs were stored above read-to-eat corn.
  • Chili did not have a date mark.
  • A toxic item was not labeled.
  • A dirty fan was stored on a prep table. A can opener was dirty, and a crock pot was leaking.

The inspector notes, due to the number and the nature of the violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge.

Management tells us that everything has been corrected.

There is some good news on the menu this week.

Bill's Drive In at 1912 Clovis Hwy once again sizzles with perfection. They're a repeat top performer.

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.