Georgia family grieving teen who died from water intoxication - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Georgia family grieving teen who died from water intoxication

Zyrees Oliver died of water intoxication Zyrees Oliver died of water intoxication
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

A Georgia family is grieving today after the unexpected death of a 17-year-old athlete.

Zyrees Oliver died of water intoxication after drinking two gallons of water and two gallons of a sports drink after practice to avoid dehydration.

That's raising questions about how something like this could happen.

We spoke with Doctor Tyson Purdy, who says death from water intoxication, or hyponatremia is very rare.

"This can happen when you drunk too much water and the sodium levels become diluted. It results in abnormally low levels and can cause things like muscle cramps, nausea, and confusion," Purdy said.

Similar symptoms can also be the result of dehydration.

So that's why medical professionals say it's important to stick to the recommended amount of eight glasses of eight ounces per day.

Purdy says the best way to know if something is wrong is by listening to your body.

"If you're starting to feel a bit faint, definitely shut it down, get cool, get in a cool area and get some Gatorade, get some electrolytes in you," Purdy said.

Copyright 2014 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly