An acid spill in Brownfield sent two people to the hospital Tuesday morning. Brownfield Fire Rescue arrived at an unloading station on North 9th Street around 10:45 a.m.
Firefighters say crews were working on a railcar when hydrochloric acid somehow spilled. The workers were burned by the acid, but the extent of their injuries is not known right now.
Fire Chief Dennis Rowe says there is no longer a public safety issue. "Most of the spill is contained to a pit area. We had Wolfforth Hazmat come in and confirmed that the tank car is secure. So at this point, I think we're down to minimal danger, Rowe said.
The area was evacuated as a precaution, and a train passing through was forced to stop for a short period of time. Cleanup is now underway.