It is a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you. It's called carbon monoxide and it's produced by burning any type of fuel. A reason why, it can become a major problem as people turn their heaters on during these cold nights.
Since December first the Lubbock Fire Department has responded to nine calls from people who had carbon monoxide in their homes. Royce Ethridge, with the Lubbock Fire Department says there are certain precautions you can take to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning. He says every year you should have your heating unit checked by a qualified person. Also invest in a CO detector. Be sure to check the batteries at least once a year. He suggests picking a certain holiday so you will always remember.
|A Closer Look At Carbon Monoxide|
Ethridge says there are some steps you should take immediately if you think you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. "First thing is to call 9-1-1. Call us that's what we're here for. Get out of the house if really suspect there might be a problem get out of that area," says Ethridge.
Ethridge also says the fire department offers a special program for families who are in need. If you qualify, the fire department has free Co and smoke detectors that they will install in your home. For more information call Raul Salazar at (806) 775-3176 and if you would just like to have your house tested for CO call (806) 775-2635.