President's Prescription: Health Myths Debunked - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

President's Prescription: Health Myths Debunked

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

How much water do you need to drink each day? Do dairy products actually exacerbate cold symptoms? There are a lot of health myths that folks think are true when in fact there’s no scientific evidence to support them. Let’s talk about a few of the most common.

You must drink eight glasses of water a day. This may be the most perpetuated myth of all. At one time, nutritional guidelines suggested approximately 8 glasses of fluid each day as a suggestion proportionate to the recommended amount of food a person should consume. However, all of the fluid you consume, even that extracted by your body from your foods, also counts.

We only use 10 percent of our brains. This 20th-century myth grew out of a sales pitch by people peddling supplements that promised to unlock the remaining 90 percent of brainpower. However, your entire brain is busy at all times forming and recalling memories, helping you speak, regulating your body and gaining new information every day.

Colds are caused by cold weather. The common cold is actually caused by a virus. Going outside improperly dressed will not bring on a cold, nor will consuming dairy exacerbate cold symptoms. These two myths have led many to take the wrong precautions and left them vulnerable to illness. To avoid a cold, wash your hands and sanitize surfaces. To recover from a cold, drink plenty of fluids.

These are a just few of the myths that I hope we can finally put to rest. While most of them are harmless, some of them can actually be dangerous. If you want real health information, talk to your doctor.

Powered by Frankly