A family, whose toddler died, is petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to add a new warning to drugs containing Ibuprofen, the active ingredient in Advil, Motrin and Nuprin.
Three-year-old Heather Kiss was given Children's Advil for a fever. Within a week of taking the drug, she developed a severe rash which her parents believe was an allergic reaction to the drug that became toxic and deadly.
Now, the Kiss family has launched a petition to the FDA to put warning labels on all products containing Ibuprofen, even though they admit Heather's reaction was extremely rare. "But why am I that one in a million? I mean that one, I mean it's just not fair and I don't want this happening to another parent again," says Heather's mother Darlene Kiss.
"We believe that these companies have withheld critical safety information for both physicians and American consumers," says Mark Mills, the Kiss family attorney.
The petitioners believe that a warning label could at least help alert parents and even doctors to early warning signs of the complications that killed their daughter.