If you're having trouble hearing - it may not be a serious problem - you might just have a build up of wax. One solution might be ear candles.
Ear candles or ear cones have been used in some form or another for hundreds of years. Sometimes for spiritual healing, but also to remove wax. So, how does it work? A nine inch long tube made with parafin soaked muslin or light cotton cloth, is inserted in your ear, and then you light it. The burning creates suction, pulling oxygen and wax from the ear canal. You can hear a popping and a bubbling and a plate is to prevent hot ash from dropping on your face.
It is definitely a two person job. "Someone has to be there to monitor the length of the candle, carefully take the pieces off that have burnt and cooled," said ear candle user Donald Cuthbert.
"I'm sure that it probably is effective for some people because people continue to do this, but I think it's a dangerous practice...you're playing with fire, literally," said Dr. Jerome List, Otolaryngologist.
While U.S. doctors do not recommend ear candles, those in Europe are required to learn the technique before receiving their medical degrees.