Conquer the Gauntlet tells athletes: Your money is gone

Obstacle race cancels without refunding money
Karyn Bynum (Source: KCBD)
Karyn Bynum (Source: KCBD)
Tiffany Skains (Source: KCBD)
Tiffany Skains (Source: KCBD)
Marti Greer (Source: KCBD)
Marti Greer (Source: KCBD)
(Source: KCBD)
(Source: KCBD)

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Some Lubbock area athletes want their money back after a popular obstacle course race collected entry fees then canceled the event without providing refunds.

A group of athletes in Brownfield who each spent $55 on the upcoming Conquer the Gauntlet race say they were thrilled to do it together.

They were disappointed when they heard about the cancellation, and then they got the email...

Conquer the Gauntlet admits they took entrants money without bringing the race which was planned for October.

According to emails provided to KCBD by boot camp instructor Max Holcombe, the company says they already spent the money.

"If it was my fault for not being able to reach the race that would be one thing, but for them to cancel it on us is a whole other ball game," Holcombe said.

They said there was not enough entrants but their solution for the problem was less than satisfactory for Holcombe.

"They said we could go to another race that's in other state, that's hundreds of miles away which isn't feasible for everybody," Holcombe explained.

Conquer the Gauntlet advised Holcombe and his boot camp attendees, one of which is , to sell their registration on Facebook.

Karyn Bynum is not happy with that solution.

"I just didn't see how it would be possible to sell these tickets to somebody else after saying they have cancelled this race," Bynum said. "Who's going to want to buy those tickets? They've cancelled once, they might cancel again, and then they're going to be out the money and in the same position."

Tiffany Skains is also in Holcombe's boot camp and she also lost money. She says she does not want to spend more resources travelling to a different state for another race.

She says there's no guarantee her registration will sell on Facebook.

"Now I'm not going to want to run one of their races again, and everybody that come across I'm going to let them know that they don't stand against their word," Skains said.

Part of the email says that they are family-owned, not a million-dollar company and don't have cash just sitting around.

"They basically said that all of our money had been spent and there was no money to give back," Holcombe said.

We brought the problem to Marti Greer, organizer of the Ironman 70.3, a race that attracts triathletes from all over the world.

"When we cancelled event due to size, we did refund," Greer said. "It was within a month of the date of the event and it just was the right thing to do."

In their email, Conquer the Gauntlet said that the money was spent on securing a location, marketing, shirts and medals.

"That's not our problem," Bynum said. "We paid them for a service and they didn't fulfill that; we should get our money back and that's just good business anywhere."

We reached out to the sponsors of Conquer the Gauntlet.

One replied and said, "We do not agree with this policy, and we have sent an inquiry to CTG for further explanation."

Conquer the Gauntlet has not responded to KCBD's requests for comment as of Wednesday night.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.