Lubbock pastor shares a moment of prayer with state trooper - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock pastor shares a moment of prayer with state trooper

Pastor Wendell Davis of Lyons Baptist Church (Source: KCBD Video) Pastor Wendell Davis of Lyons Baptist Church (Source: KCBD Video)
Traffic stop takes surprising turn (Source: KTXS) Traffic stop takes surprising turn (Source: KTXS)

Dashcam video of a Lubbock pastor involved in a traffic stop is now going viral.

Pastor Wendell Davis of Lyons Baptist Church was pulled over on his way to Dallas.

What happened next on the side of Highway 84 between Snyder and Sweetwater is something he never expected and something he said he will never forget.

"It was definitely a hiccup in my plans as I had never planned on being stopped," Davis said.

Davis was pulled over for an expired registration sticker and for not having a front license plate.

"I own up to that," said Davis.

However, Hardin did not give Davis a ticket, he did something else.

"He then said, 'I am going to give you two warnings and I would like to make two requests.' I said 'Okay, what are your requests?'" Davis said.

Harding requested Davis make the changes to his car.

Davis gave him his word that he would.

"He said, 'My second request is will you pray with me?' And I said, 'Absolutely, I will'" Davis said.

The men joined hands on Highway 84 and prayed.

"I know the climate within America," Davis said. "But that didn't cloud my mind, that didn't come to mind."

At the end of the prayer, Hardin had one more request.

"I said, 'Sure, it's only almost 100 degrees out here, so sure. And he said, 'Can I have a hug?' Well I had never been asked that by a state trooper and so I said, 'sure' and I hugged him," Davis said.

What Davis originally would have called a hiccup in his journey to Dallas, he now calls something else.

"I would really call it a divine moment, just that, a divine moment. A moment when I believe God wanted to cause the paths of distinctly different persons to intersect in such a way that God could make a statement and by doing so, our lives would be immediately if not eternally changed," Davis said.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Boston man claims self-defense in alleged assault of man photographing woman on train

Monday, June 18 2018 3:47 AM EDT2018-06-18 07:47:22 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 3:47 AM EDT2018-06-18 07:47:22 GMT
    It is alleged the 66-year-old victim was taking inappropriate photos of a woman on the train, but police say they found no evidence to support the claim. (Source: Makeda Payton/WFXT/CNN)It is alleged the 66-year-old victim was taking inappropriate photos of a woman on the train, but police say they found no evidence to support the claim. (Source: Makeda Payton/WFXT/CNN)

Prosecutors say the 31-year-old kicked the victim, broke his ribs and strangled him.

Tough course or easy, Brooks Koepka repeats as US Open champ

Sunday, June 17 2018 8:59 AM EDT2018-06-17 12:59:32 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 3:40 AM EDT2018-06-18 07:40:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Julio Cortez). Dustin Johnson misses a putt on the 18th green during the third round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Saturday, June 16, 2018, in Southampton, N.Y.(AP Photo/Julio Cortez). Dustin Johnson misses a putt on the 18th green during the third round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Saturday, June 16, 2018, in Southampton, N.Y.
    The toughest test at US Open is getting Shinnecock Hills in the right condition for a memorable final round.

Investigators say DNA database can be goldmine for old cases

Saturday, June 16 2018 12:19 PM EDT2018-06-16 16:19:01 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 3:31 AM EDT2018-06-18 07:31:36 GMT

Some private investigators and genealogy experts want to use the same DNA-tracking system that identified the suspected Golden State Killer to solve decades-old murder and missing-person cases.