Joe Porras begins 43rd year maintaining Lowrey Field - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Joe Porras begins 43rd year maintaining Lowrey Field

Joe Porras (source: KCBD) Joe Porras (source: KCBD)

There's nothing more exciting than high school football season starting back up.

Thursday night, fans came out for football games held across the South Plains.

But it takes the whole team to have a successful game.

And while people come to the games to cheer on the football players, the games wouldn't run smoothly without the players behind the scenes.

On any given game night at Lowrey Field, there's one key team member who you won't see under the lights.

"My job is very fast, I do a lot of things here," Lowrey Field Facilitator Joe Porras said.

And this isn't his first rodeo.

"This is the start of my 43rd year," Porras said.

That's right, 43 years of making sure each game has enough tickets, security, and that fans leave the game happy.

Just to name a few of his duties.

"I get here at 7:30 in the morning, and I probably leave around 11:30 at night on game day," he said.

But these long hours, don't even compare to the relationships Joe has made through the years.

"I'm a people person. I'm not in this job for the money. I'm in the job because I want to help people," Joe said.

And Joe gets to do this with his family by his side, with his wife Myrna selling tickets and his daughter Alexis at the front gates.

Joe's work ethic, and his genuine sense of caring for everyone he meets, is well respected by many.

"He wants to serve others. I just appreciate him so much for his willingness to help not only our department but Lubbock ISD," LISD Assistant AD Mike Meeks said.

While Thursday is the first of many game nights, Joe says he is happy for every chance he gets to work with his behind the scenes team.

"We're excited, we're ready to go. I mean it's another year of excitement," Porras said.

And don't worry, Joe won't be leaving this field, anytime soon.

"People have asked me, you know when are you going to stop doing this, and as long as I'm able I'm going to keep doing it," he said.

Joe actually received an Appreciation Award at the LISD coach's luncheon Thursday.

He says he never expected that and he is thrilled to start off the season with that honor.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Alaska earthquake prompts tsunami warning; no wave reported

Tuesday, January 23 2018 5:28 AM EST2018-01-23 10:28:12 GMT
    Tuesday, January 23 2018 6:58 AM EST2018-01-23 11:58:34 GMT

A magnitude 8.2 earthquake off Alaska's Kodiak Island prompted a tsunami warning for a large swath of coastal Alaska and Canada's British Columbia while the remainder of the U.S. West Coast was under a watch.

Senators strike a deal re-opening government after 69 hours

Tuesday, January 23 2018 12:38 AM EST2018-01-23 05:38:22 GMT
    Tuesday, January 23 2018 6:59 AM EST2018-01-23 11:59:28 GMT

Democrats climbed onboard after two days of negotiations that ended with new assurances from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that the Senate would consider immigration proposals in the coming weeks.

Del Toro's 'Shape of Water' poised to lead Oscar nominations

Tuesday, January 23 2018 12:18 AM EST2018-01-23 05:18:02 GMT
    Tuesday, January 23 2018 6:58 AM EST2018-01-23 11:58:31 GMT

Guillermo del Toro's lavish monster romance "The Shape of Water" will vie for the most Oscar nominations Tuesday, but just as much attention may be focused on categories where women could history.