Fans come from all over to celebrate Buddy Holly's 80th birthday - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Fans come from all over to celebrate Buddy Holly's 80th birthday

Jamie Bell traveled all the way from the United Kingdom (Source: KCBD Video) Jamie Bell traveled all the way from the United Kingdom (Source: KCBD Video)
Source: KCBD Video Source: KCBD Video

Some of Buddy Holly's most dedicated fans traveled from overseas to celebrate his life and music on what would be the rock and roll legend's 80th birthday,

"In England, Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley are the same," said musician Jamie Bell, who traveled all the way from the United Kingdom for the birthday bash.

Peggy Sue was the first song Bell learned on guitar, and he says visiting his idol's hometown of Lubbock was a childhood dream.

"For me, Buddy Holly is music, basically I've wanted to come here since I was 8 years of age, I've always loved Buddy Holly's music from a very young age," Bell said.

Dave Slater was in high school when the rocker died, and still remembers hearing the news.

"You have to think what would he really be doing now, but I mean he was just forward thinking, obviously I think he would've had his own record label," Slater said, also a visitor from England.

Now, in his hometown, fans can celebrate Buddy Holly with tributes to his legacy, and they think of how he changed their world of music forever.

"I still feel it now and I'm 73, I still feel it now like when I was 15," Slater said.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

If FBI wants to talk to Kushner, lawyer says he's ready

Saturday, May 27 2017 9:36 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:36:19 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 9:36 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:36:19 GMT

Amid reports that the FBI is investigating meetings Trump son-in-law had with Russians, Jared Kushner's lawyer says he is willing to cooperate with investigators.

Next for Montana's new congressman: Day in court, then DC

Saturday, May 27 2017 9:36 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:36:12 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 9:36 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:36:12 GMT

Republican Greg Gianforte's win in Montana's special election hinged on flaws in both the two major party candidates.

Trump says he'll decide on Paris climate deal next week

Saturday, May 27 2017 9:35 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:35:57 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 9:35 AM EDT2017-05-27 13:35:57 GMT

President Donald Trump will return to Washington having rattled some allies and reassured others, but his White House still sits under a cloud of scandal.