Lubbock homeless starting new lives in Carpenter's Church duplex - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock homeless starting new lives in Carpenter's Church duplexes

Mary Muniz, moving into a duplex Mary Muniz, moving into a duplex
Duplexes at Carpenter's Church Duplexes at Carpenter's Church
Duplexes at Carpenter's Church are now open Duplexes at Carpenter's Church are now open

The five duplexes at Carpenter's Church are ready for move-in.

Located at 13th and Avenue S, the church is hoping the new homes will provide the foundation the homeless need to succeed.

On Thursday, they celebrated the opening with a ribbon cutting, after breaking ground less than a year ago.

Ten people will move in and be given a new opportunity to improve their lives.

Each tenant will have to sign a standard year lease agreement, pay 30 percent of their income for rent and meet with a support person once a week.

Jaime Wheeler, 'Housing First' Director for Carpenter's Church, says she is overwhelmed with excitement now that the homes are finally complete.

"Our number one goal, at the beginning, is to get people in a stable place that we can help them move on to other goals," she says. "Even, just having an address and a safe place to go, is going to help them have a starting place to go out and look for those jobs."

Though no one moved into the brightly colored duplexes on Thursday, Carpenter's Church says the first person should be moving in in a couple of weeks.

"When I get here, it's going to hit me, when I finally do make it. I'm still like ahh," says Mary Muniz, who has been homeless for 12 years.

Mary's about to move in to a new home with new furnishings, and become a new humble homeowner.

"It's hard to believe," she says. "I don't deserve this. Because my whole life people told me that I don't deserve nothing."

Now, she is finally finding her way.

"The reason why I was homeless is due to the abuse and the trauma that I went through as a child," she said.

For 12 years, Mary has called the streets of Lubbock, home. But, not anymore.

Now, she has a safe place to sleep with food in the pantry, a sense of ownership and a sense of security.

Mary is now home.

"I want to plant a garden," she says. "I've always wanted a garden. He makes it all possible."

All in effort to keep moving forward and not let the past keep her down.

"So, I'm doing what I've got to do to better myself," she says. "It's one step at a time."

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

War of words spreads to soldier's widow, Trump

Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:24:45 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 5:15 AM EDT2017-10-24 09:15:28 GMT

"Yes, the president said that 'he knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.' And it made me cry 'cause I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said he couldn't remember my husband's name," Sgt. La David Johnson's widow said in an interview.

Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

Monday, October 23 2017 3:44 AM EDT2017-10-23 07:44:06 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:34 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:34:41 GMT

Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

Monday, October 23 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:04:12 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:26 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:26:35 GMT
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America.