Accused cartel member will be released from Lubbock jail - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Accused cartel member will be released from Lubbock jail

Esteban Garcia to be released from jail (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center) Esteban Garcia to be released from jail (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)
LUBBOCK COUNTY, TX (KCBD) -

An accused member of the Cartel will be released from the Lubbock County Detention Center.

A federal judge accepted the agreement between the prosecution and defense to allow 28-year-old Esteban Garcia to be released from jail with conditions.

"At this stage, neither I nor the local prosecutor have been provided with any evidence that even reflects Cartel involvement," said David Guinn, Garcia's attorney. 

Garcia's drug-related charges were filed in El Paso, which is where he will be tried.

Guinn said the indictment alleges Garcia was involved in drug-related phone calls in November of 2014, possibly tying him to a cocaine conspiracy.

Garcia was arrested after a raid at the home he was renting in Lubbock's southwest neighborhood of LakeRidge.

Agents with Homeland Security and the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office raided two other homes that week. 

During this operation, they seized 61 pounds of narcotics, $38,000 in cash, vehicles, motorcycles, boats and a jet ski.

There are multiple defendants in this case and Garcia, and as part of his conditions, Garcia will not be allowed to speak to any of them.

Guinn said it could take some time before Garcia is released from the Lubbock County Detention Center because certain conditions must be met prior to his release.

A landline must be installed at his sister's home, where he will be staying, for his electronic monitoring device.

On Wednesday, his sister agreed to be a third custodian, telling the judge she will make sure Garcia follows his conditions and makes his court appearances. Garcia will have an arraignment with the next two weeks.

Guinn said Garcia's passport must also be surrendered before he can be released. 

Garcia's bond is set at $100,000.

There are more conditions Garcia must follow once he is released.

He agreed to sell his trucking company and look for other employment.

Garcia will also be required to take drug and alcohol tests.

His outings will be limited and he must be home by his 11 p.m. curfew unless he is working.

The judge approved of Garcia's release after considering the safety of the community and ensuring Garcia would not be a flight risk.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • War of words spreads to soldier's widow, Trump

    War of words spreads to soldier's widow, Trump

    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:24:45 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 5:15 AM EDT2017-10-24 09:15:28 GMT

    "Yes, the president said that 'he knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.' And it made me cry 'cause I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said he couldn't remember my husband's name," Sgt. La David Johnson's widow said in an interview.

    "Yes, the president said that 'he knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.' And it made me cry 'cause I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said he couldn't remember my husband's name," Sgt. La David Johnson's widow said in an interview.

  • Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

    Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

    Monday, October 23 2017 3:44 AM EDT2017-10-23 07:44:06 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:34 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:34:41 GMT

    Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

    Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

  • Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

    Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

    Monday, October 23 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:04:12 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:26 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:26:35 GMT
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared...
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America.
Powered by Frankly