Son charged with murder after blood found in missing woman's hom - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Son charged with murder after blood found in missing woman's home

Kody Climer (Source: Lubbock Co. Detention Center) Kody Climer (Source: Lubbock Co. Detention Center)
Linda WIlhite, 67 (Source: Lubbock PD) Linda WIlhite, 67 (Source: Lubbock PD)

The case of a missing Lubbock woman has been changed to a homicide investigation, and her son has been charged with murder. Now officials are searching for the woman's remains.

The Lubbock Police Department served an arrest warrant on 45-year-old Kody Climer for the murder of 67-year-old Linda Gail Wilhite.  Climer was already in the Lubbock County Detention Facility on unrelated charges and was being held on a $50,000 bond. The arrest warrant was served on Friday. He is now charged with murder and his bond has been raised $500,000.

"Based on the current state of the investigation and all evidence to this point, the Lubbock Police Department now, unfortunately, has probable cause to believe her to be deceased and that Mr. Climer was the perpetrator," said Assistant Police Chief Jon Caspell in a news release on Friday.

Police say Wilhite has numerous health problems and hasn't been heard from since Tuesday, Aug. 16 and her medications were still in the home. Her cell phone records show her last phone activity to be on the evening of Aug. 15. 

A witness told police they last spoke to Wilhite on Aug. 14 around 11 a.m. The witness also saw Climer that day around 1 p.m. The witness said Climer was very upset over insurance money and was depressed. 

The warrant says Climer believed his mother was getting a $90,000 settlement check for his brother's death. He felt Wilhite owed him some of the money because it was his brother. He was upset his mother would not give him $4,000 to leave town and start his new business and new life.+


The arrest warrant for Climer states when police arrived to perform the welfare check, they found a kitchen knife laying on the ground outside, and pry marks on a bedroom window. Wilhite was not inside, her medication was still inside the home and her vehicle was missing.

After officers forced entry, they went into a bedroom and found a light switch with a bloody finger print on it. The closed door was closed, but saw blood on the closet door with a faint bloody trail leading to the interior of the closet. The officer stated in his report that it appeared something had been dragged into the closet.

The officer then opened the door and discovered a walk in closet. He saw several thick blankets on the floor with blood on them and towels with dried blood on them under the blankets. The officer moved the blankets and he saw a pillow soaked with blood. The warrant says the blood continued from the pillow onto the carpet and the blood on the carpet had pooled and was thick. The warrant says some of the blood was coagulated and still appeared to be wet. The warrant also says there was so much blood, it had soaked through the pillow, through the carpet, through the padding and onto the concrete slab. 

Officers also found spots of blood on the bed in the master bedroom. The officer reported there was blood on the kitchen floor and blood smeared on a table cloth on the kitchen table.

On the same day as the welfare check, Climer was seen by a witness at a convenience store and appeared paranoid. He told the witness that he "was going to be famous but for the wrong reasons." He told the witness he had been pulled over by an officer and they didn't do anything. He told the witness if anything happened it was a set up.

Climer had been pulled over in Wilhite's vehicle on Aug. 17 just after midnight, a day before Wilhite was reported missing. He was the only person in the vehicle, according to the warrant. The officer said he appeared nervous. Climer saw a Bowie knife sheath in the front cup holder and a large hatchet laying on the back floorboard of the vehicle. The officer issued Climer a citation and released him. The officer had dispatch call Wilhite, but the call went to voicemail.

Witnesses told police Climer was trying to sell Wilhite's vehicle for $500. The same group of people told police that Climer is known to want money when he is using drugs and he has a history of heavy street drug use.

Financial records and business surveillance show Climer trying to use Wilhite's debit card to make withdraws or attempting to make withdraws from her account since she was last seen alive.

On Aug. 19, Wilhite's vehicle was found at 81st and Ave. L unoccupied. Investigators responded to photograph the vehicle. Blood was found in Wilhite's vehicle on the spare tire wheel rim that was in the rear cargo area of the vehicle, two other spots of blood in the cargo area, one on a carpeted piece and another on the passenger side. 

Climer was found a few blocks away from where Wilhite's vehicle was found. He had the keys in his possession. He also had two bags containing a large silver knife with a wooden handle and Wilhite's debit card. He also had a check made out to him for $500 dated Aug. 15 with a memo "birthday money." His birthday is Sept. 12.

When Climer was questioned, he said he didn't know where Wilhite was but he did admit to writing hot checks on her account. The officer noticed he had scratches on his hands, legs and forehead.

A DNA analysis was performed on the blood in the house and the vehicle and the results show all of the blood belongs to Wilhite.

The warrant says Climer is accused of intentionally or knowingly cause the death of Wilhite by stabbing her, striking her with an unknown object, or caused her to strike an unknown object on Aug. 14, 2016. He is currently in the Lubbock County Detention Center charged with murder and is being held on a $500,000 bond. He is also being held on an unrelated charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon-threat with a bond of $50,000.

Wilhite's remains have not been found. Anyone with information is strongly encouraged to call Crime Line at 806-741-1000.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly