Washboard Willy quit architect job to pursue musical dreams - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Washboard Willy quit architect job to pursue musical dreams

Washboard Willy (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs) Washboard Willy (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs)
Source: Ashlyn Tubbs Source: Ashlyn Tubbs
Kazoo attached (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs) Kazoo attached (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs)
Source: Ashlyn Tubbs Source: Ashlyn Tubbs
Crowd participants (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs) Crowd participants (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs)

He is known at the Panhandle South Plains Fair as the one-man-band named Washboard Willy, who makes frequent musical rounds.

He has practiced with his washboard contraption and thimble gloves he invented for more than 30 years.

But what little passerbys know is that his legal name is Larry Hiskett, and he was once a landscape architect in Colorado.

"I was a park planning physician, which I loved, in two different cities," he said.

Two years into his job, Hiskett was driving a motorcycle with a passenger and crashed.

"We spun out, rolled out over into the river," he said.

Hiskett's friend was left paralyzed.

"There were times I went through a lot of depression," he said, ‘and ‘Why me? Why me, Lord?"

During this hard time, Hiskett had to choose between his profession or passion.

"I think I need to give me 100 percent," he said, at the time, "and the best I could give [my job] is a 90-day notice."

Hiskett played in bands until one day, a Japanese theme park invited him to play solo at their event.

"What?" he asked. "I'm a co-dependent drummer…I'm a co-dependent washboard player

After brainstorming, Washboard Willy was formed in 1984: a character he created just for children.

"I added the different instruments to my washboard," he said, "the next thing I know I'm doing conga lines with all the kids."

Since then, Hiskett has brought his gear to fairs and festivals in nearly state, along with his wife.

"She's my manager," he said. "We're constantly having to work hard to sell ourselves to the fair."

While Washboard Willy helps promote the fair food as he sings, he mostly encourages people of all ages to dance to the rhythm of their own beat.

"With all your heart, do what you love and everything else will fall into place," he said, "because that's the most important part."

To watch Washboard Willy in action, you can catch him at these times: Monday through Friday from 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., or 7:30 p.m., and Saturday & Sunday from 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. or 7 p.m.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Dem, GOP leaders to get classified briefings on Russia probe

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:42:28 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:44 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:44:33 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...

A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.

N. Korea demolishes nuclear test site as journalists watch

Thursday, May 24 2018 6:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 10:32:00 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:43 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:43:22 GMT
    Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)

North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.

FDA warns teething medicines unsafe, wants them off shelves

Wednesday, May 23 2018 9:43 AM EDT2018-05-23 13:43:09 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:36 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:36:00 GMT
    The Food and Drug Administration said that various gels and creams containing the drug benzocaine can cause rare but deadly side effects in children, especially those 2 years and younger. (Source: FDA)The Food and Drug Administration said that various gels and creams containing the drug benzocaine can cause rare but deadly side effects in children, especially those 2 years and younger. (Source: FDA)

The US Food and Drug Administration health is warning parents about the risks of teething remedies.