Buck Trout becomes ambassador for Panhandle South Plains Fair - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Buck Trout becomes ambassador for Panhandle South Plains Fair

Buck Trout (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs) Buck Trout (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs)
Source: Ashlyn Tubbs Source: Ashlyn Tubbs
Travel pins (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs) Travel pins (Source: Ashlyn Tubbs)
Source: Ashlyn Tubbs Source: Ashlyn Tubbs
Source: Ashlyn Tubbs Source: Ashlyn Tubbs

One of the friendliest personalities at the Panhandle South Plains Fair drives a little truck with a speaker attached all across the grounds.

His name is Buck Trout, and he is actually not even human. He is a puppet.

"I don't even have to say anything, and they're laughing," Buck said. "It must be some crazy way that I look."

Buck is from Los Angeles, California, and he became a fair ambassador in 1995 by telling visitors about all the attractions as he cruises.

"Everywhere I go, I research and I find out what's going on in the area, and what's going on in the fair," he said.

This job has taken him to at least 50 cross country trips since then.

"You know, I've been to almost every state," he said. "many-a-many-a state fairs."

This year is Buck's second time at the Panhandle South Plains Fair.

"Ten years ago I was here, and I'm so excited to be back," he said.

At least five times a day, Buck takes the truck he invented cruising across the grounds as he interacts with visitors of all ages.

"I just love coming out here, talking to the people," he said. "They're a lot of fun."

His goal is to not only spread knowledge about the events, but bring a laugh out of just about anyone.

"I met a little handicap girl in a wheelchair, and I made her laugh," he said. "And that broke my little heart…and I tell you, ever since then, that has just inspired me on a daily basis to get out there and just make people laugh a little bit."

It is those moments he thinks about at the end of each long work day, that make him never want to retire.

"When you make people smile, you make them laugh…it makes you laugh as well," Buck said. "Makes you happy."

To chat with Buck at the Panhandle South Plains Fair, visit the fairgrounds Thursday and Friday from 4 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. or on Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., and 7:30 p.m.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Mexicans dig through collapsed buildings as quake kills 217

Wednesday, September 20 2017 2:33 AM EDT2017-09-20 06:33:01 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:57 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:57:50 GMT

The earthquake struck on the 32nd anniversary of a 1985 temblor that killed thousands and came just two hours after earthquake drills were held across Mexico to mark the date.

Hurricane Maria hits Puerto Rico after slamming Dominica

Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:55 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:55:20 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:56 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:56:12 GMT

Hurricane Maria ties for the eighth strongest storm in Atlantic history, when measured by wind speed.

A last, last chance: Republicans strain for Obamacare repeal

Wednesday, September 20 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-09-20 08:24:59 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:47 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:47:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...

In a sign he remained short of votes, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused on Tuesday to commit to bringing the legislation up for a vote.